Have you ever walked into your basement or your bathroom and noticed a strong, musty smell? This smell could actually mean that you have mold growing inside your home. There are toxic and non-toxic types of mold that can be present in your home. Since mold comes in all types of colors, it may be hard for you to decide which type is growing in your home or where it is located exactly.
Where the Wild Mold Grows
Mold is normally going to grow in dark, moist places. This could mean that mold is growing and spreading in your air conditioning system, vents, behind the toilet, under the cabinets, around leaking pipes in basement, behind or under the washing machine and several other places.
Non-toxic mold can still cause you to have allergy problems. This would include watery or itchy eyes or even a sore throat. It is not harmful to you but could be very aggravating to be around. Non-toxic mold is generally white or dark green. Some non-toxic molds can even be found on foods. Once mold is present and starts to grow, it can spread very quickly.
Other types of mold found around the home can be located outside. This mold is generally going to be on decaying plants or moist wood. It will be red or orange in color. This mold found outside is non-toxic but can still cause allergy problems. Those that do not have allergy problems from this outside mold do not need to worry about having it removed since it is completely harmless.
Toxic mold is normally black in color and can cause all types of health problems, especially in children or small pets. If you are around toxic mold for long periods of time and keep breathing it in, it will start getting into your pores. It can cause you to have respiratory problems, aches throughout your body, sore throat, bad cough, and even death in some reported cases.
So You’ve Got Mold. Now What?
If mold is present in your home, it is essential to contact a mold removal company. The mold removal company is going to know what types of chemicals can be used in order to kill, clean and remove the mold. This will ensure that the mold will stop spreading and growing while preventing it from coming back for long periods of time. The professional removing the mold will be able to advise if the type of mold growing was toxic or not. If the mold is toxic, you, your family, and any pets may need to evacuate the home or room that the mold is in until the cleanup process is completed.
The technician will also be able to search other parts of the home to ensure that mold is not present any longer. The chemicals used can help get rid of the musty odor that mold leaves behind. No matter the amount of mold found, it is important to not touch it with bare hands and to call a professional right away.